Lumion 6.5.1 vs Twinmotion 2016
I recently had the opportunity to evaluate Twinmotion 2016 (https://twinmotion.abvent.com/en/) and to compare it to Lumion 6.5.1 (https://lumion3d.com/). Micrographics is the sole agent for Lumion in Africa, but I have tried my best to remain as objective as possible.
We run a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 M on my work laptop and I get great real-time quality rendering and quick detailed renders from Lumion.
Twinmotion does not run with it at all (grey screen).
Strangely enough I get some operational functionality (terrible visuals) achieved using on-board graphics!
What I discovered it that one needs at least an NVIDIA GTX 770 to run Twinmotion! At least on my laptop it seems Lumion is the only option. Luckily we had a performance PC lying around with an NVIDIA GTX 970, and I managed to run Twinmotion on it without any issues.
Both are operated along the same lines (like a first person shooter game) and both are easy to learn (1 day).
BUT Lumion has many advantages:
- has much more and better quality content
- has better artistic effects, lighting, water, sky and clouds
- renders faster and with better realism
- renders panoramically and in Virtual Reality through MyLumion (https://lumion3d.com/mylumion.html)
- has a viewer for client meetings
- Although it is not possible to state that cheaper is hardware required without extensive testing against multiple types of hardware and models, my laptop does seem to bear this out.
- supported in 17 languages
- great tutorials online
In conclusion: if it was my money I would invest in Lumion.